National Standards for Mental Health Services
The National Standards for Mental Health Services (NSMHS) aims to effectively develop and implement appropriate practices, and guide continuous quality improvement in mental health services.
What Is It?
The NSMHS can be used in both clinical and community settings.
These National Standards for Mental Health Services focus on:
- How services are delivered
- Whether they comply with relevant legislation and regulatory requirements
- Whether they meet the required standards and expectations of clients
- Whether they have procedures and practices in place to monitor and govern effectively
- Especially in areas that may be associated with risks to the client or the organization and its staff
The Standards apply to the broad range of mental health services that make up the mental health sector, including:
- Bed-based and community mental health services
- Clinical and non-government sectors
- Private sector
- Primary care and general practice